Saturday, August 9, 2008

Damn you, decades-old joke with Shelle, daaaaaaamn youuuuu! ha ha

Okay, here I go again, stealing parts of Shelle's blog. But in this case, I think you'll quickly grasp the need for this...
===================================
Shelle's blog, July 4th 2008:
New shoe, the 4th
Notice I said "shoe" and not "shoes" because this is what I get to wear around for the next 2 weeks...








I'm so thrilled, can you tell?!! Here's the culprit:
















I tripped over it letting the dogs out on Monday and whacked my big toe into it, cracking it in 2 spots. Now, I would like to say that this is the first time I've broken a toe. I'd like to say that. What can I say, I'm a klutz! And unfortunately my daughter takes after me. Well, maybe I should change my nailpolish to match the lovely shade of purple I've got on my foot! ewwww...don't worry, I won't show you a picture of my toe!!
===================================
Back to my story. Thursday morning, Aug. 7th before work... I kicked the chair in our hallway, a lovely blue wicker chair with evil spindly legs! Here's my culprit:























And the requisite pic of my new shoe!
















Now, for the explanation of my subject line... Shelle and I have been breaking toes in tandem for 17 years. I broke the first toe of our joke when I was 19. She teased me, and about a year and a half later, called to tell me she was sorry for teasing me and that it was mean of her (we'd spoken a million times between these calls). I asked "what did you do??" and it turned out she'd broken a toe. ha ha Over the years since then, we've told each other about our broken toes, and ended the story with "so you're next!". And every time that happens, the un-broken-toe friend declares that no, it'll end here and I won't be next... until we break the next toe.

Shelle called me in July and told me about her accident, and I of course said that I wasn't going to break any toes to keep up with my end of the bargain.

I have to call her and let her know it's her turn again. Unless she reads my blog first. In that case... you're next!! LOL

And, just to let you know how deep our friendship runs, here's a pic of us in Knoxville, TN, on the 4th of July 2005.
Not only had it been my turn to break a toe so bad that summer that it needed surgery (note the attractive surgical shoe), but if you look at our "normal" shoes you might notice that we've got the same sandals on. Not intentionally! We didn't even realize that we were wearing the same shoes until years later...

And now, Shelle has broken her toe on the 4th of July, three years later. Coincidence? I think not!

5 comments:

Michelle Whitlow said...

Aaaaahhhh!!! I will NOT break another one!!! Considering how many years I went without breaking one, I think I should be good for the next 5 years. And doesn't breaking your big toe in 2 spots count for at least 2 toes?! So, technically, it's still your turn :)

Becky said...

Au contraire... I broke my pinkie toe and ruptured the ligament. The podiatrist had to "put my toe back" in place... yukkkk [shudder]

Jim just reminded me of the joy of having 6cc's of anesthetic injected into a total of 3 spots in my toe.

In summary, one broken toe, one ruptured ligament, three needles, and one fat toe.

It can't still be my turn! LOL

Michelle Whitlow said...

Hey, I had 10+ inches of my intestines taken out, my appendix...oh, and then there was a gall bladder and 2 babies. You can catch up with me if you want! lol

Michelle Whitlow said...

BTW, I love when you're leaving a comment it says "choose an identity"! Hmmmm, who do I want to be??

Becky said...

"Hey, I had 10+ inches of my intestines taken out, my appendix...oh, and then there was a gall bladder and 2 babies."

[gulp] YOU WIN!! ha ha

Choose an identity. Hmmm.


Wonder Woman!

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates