If you're me (and most people I hear), you pronounce it "dye-a-bee-tees". If you're my mom, and/or from the South (excuse me, fellow Mitch Hedberg fans, the S--th), you say "dye-a-bee-tiss". You also treat it like a proper name, and call it "THE dye-a-bee-tiss". For example, "no, I can't go shopping with you, I've got the Diabetes". LOL Like you're the one carrying it for the week...
It cracks me up. But I love my mom (and look, it's here in print), and respect her for going decades with the diabetes, and for now teasing me that she doesn't like how my testing machine pokes the palm instead of the fingers, and itches after you're done.
That being said, this has been a struggle for me. Not the "Oh, I can't go on" kind of struggle, but the "this is an annoying part of my now-daily life" struggle. I've found I can't drink juices; they're too high in sugar. I can eat fruit, because that has fiber and nutrition along with it.
I have to
Wait, I mean our Girls' Birthday Weekend Up North. I'm looking forward to it so much that it requires formal capitalization... ha ha
Jim and I went out to eat Saturday night after the Allen Park street fair, to a new restaurant which I can't remember the name, it was so good. :-) He ordered a beer. I asked the waitress what was in their $4 Rum Runner, and was told it was this juice, that juice, another juice, grenadine (red sugar water) and rum. Sighing, with an aside to Jim that it was too much juice, I ordered iced tea.
Jim made a comment that I completely agree with -- "I liked it better when you were hypoglycemic!". Me too, darlin'... me too. Hypoglycemia was easier to manage.
So I leave you for the moment with a recipe from the dye-a-bee-tees website, which actually sounds good! Okay, yes, I did have the thought that it would be especially good with vodka... LOL
Recipe of the Day (from the American Diabetes Association)
Mango Frappe
Mangoes are the star in this wonderfully sweet and fizzy frappe. Serve over ice in a tall glass. If fresh mangos are not available, look for frozen mangos (no sugar added, available in some grocery stores).
Number of Servings: 3
Serving Size: 1 cup
Today's recipe is brought to you by: V8
(also the color blue and the letter 'K'). ha ha
Ingredients
1 whole ripe mango, peeled and pitted
¾ C orange juice
¼ C lime Juice
1 ¼ C club soda
2 ice cubes
Puree the mango in a food processor or blender. Add the orange and lime juices; process until smooth.
Add the club soda and ice cubes; process just to blend and crush the ice. Serve at once.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories 83
Calories From Fat 2
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholestrol 0 mg
Sodium 27 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 18 g
Protein 1 g


1 comment:
Ahh, so true, they do call it that in the south...she done got the dye-a-bee-tiss!! lol And we're going on the innerstate (not the freeway) and are your kin folk in town for long? Oh, and don't forget your IN-surance. And don't even get me started on how Blount county is pronounced "blunt". Huh?! Guess you get used to it cause I'm startin' to sound like them. Chat with ya'll later! I'm gonna rustle up some grub!
It's funny cause it's true :) I kid, but I do like the south :)
Post a Comment